Thursday, September 19, 2013

An interview with Pope Francis

Published in the magazine America: here

The Religion News Service point out a few highlights:
  • “We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that … The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.”
  • “A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person, or reject and condemn this person? We must always consider the person.”
  • “My authoritarian and quick manner of making decisions led me to have serious problems and to be accused of being ultraconservative … but I have never been a right-winger.”
  • “We should not even think, therefore, that ‘thinking with the church’ means only thinking with the hierarchy of the church.”
  • “If the Christian is a restorationist, a legalist, if he wants everything clear and safe, then he will find nothing.”
  • “I am a sinner. This is the most accurate definition. It is not a figure of speech, a literary genre. I am a sinner.”


*Updates:  
Pope Francis Excommunicates Australian Priest Who Advocated For Gay Marriage And Female Clergy 
and here

What Pope Francis Thinks About Women in the Church



 

No comments:

Post a Comment