Thursday, November 7, 2013

What's new in social science

Edge asked the participants:

"What's new in your field of social science in the last year or two, and why should I care? Why do I want or need to know about it?  How does it change my view of human nature?"

I asked them to focus broadly and address the major developments in their field (including but not limited to their own research agenda). My goal was to get new, fresh, and original up-to-date field reports on different areas of social science.

The participants include eminent and established scholars in philosophy, psychology, economics, cognitive science. (Participants: Nicholas Christakis, Fiery Cushman, Daniel Dennett, Joshua Greene, June Gruber, Jennifer Jacquet, Daniel Kahneman, Joshua Knobe, Rob Kurzban, Sendhil Mullainathan, David Pizarro, Laurie Santos, Anne Treisman.)

Personally, I am excited to see the new material that comes out of this conference/seminar. But I'm also struck by the lack of representation from anthropology or sociology. The two disciplines are important contributors to these discussions. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment