Thursday, January 8, 2015

*Experiencing 'time'...

These days, time only seems to exist when I have an outside engagement. Right before (some phenomenologically arbitrary measure of 'before') the time of meeting - whether it be for a seminar, lecture, meeting with a professor, friend or colleague - 'time' comes into existence reminding me that there is a conventional clock by which we hold our promises. In this sense, it would seem that 'time' is inexplicably tied up with 'integrity'; being some place at some time to meet some one after making the agreement to meet.

This is the only instance when 'time,' at least nowadays, seems to exist. Of course, I am completely being self-absorbed and utterly dismissive of the movements of the sun and the moon. But socially speaking the abstraction of 'time,' constructing a standardized measure of movement for the purposes of cooperation and coordination, among other things, serves to control and test the 'integrity' by which we proceed in our trajectories.

All that exists, in this period of my life, is my dissertation and my computer (through which I am connected to family, friends, and social happenings - which could warrant the argument that a computer, and its functions, with the conjunction that the internet gives access to the world, is the social. In a Durkheimian way, the computer could be argued to be 'God'). 

Otherwise I'm like:


And on most days...


Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment