Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A reply to Alt-Right

So I went snooping around Breitbart. Apart from the right-wing spin on events, and news from liberal media sources, strategic placement of images, and faces from people of color, I searched alt-right and found this article, "An Establishment Conservative's Guide to Alt-Right", at the top of the search (right below is an article that says "How to destroy alt-right" and above the article is a Google ad that says: "You Are Not That Bigoted"). The article purports to be reporting on the Alt-Right movement but turns into a full-blown argument for it. The article is clever; starting with the criticism that alt-right is a white-supremacist movement, it takes the veiled stance of an unbiased reporter and, quite intelligently, describes the alt-right and what it stands for in an unassuming tone. This gives Breitbart a sense of credibility, feeding the curiosity of the reader and potential converts into the lull of agreeing with its white supremacist position. The article says that the alt-right are “natural conservatives” composed primarily of
“white, mostly male middle-American radicals, who are unapologetically embracing a new identity politics that prioritises the interests of their own demographic.”
It is their “natural” instinct, the article says. Hereditary intelligence contradicts egalitarianism, the article says. Let me pause real quick out of concern that I might be feeding into Breitbart's tactics by writing this. The former proposition is at best a half-truth and the latter simply erroneous. People care for their families. Love is undeniable. People also band together with similar interests – whether it is along the lines of ‘race’, religion, hobbies and interests, politics and ideology, chess, game of thrones, etc. – we develop ‘homophilial’ relations (I know, it’s a horrendous term). This also means that identity politics is not the be-all, end-all. There is an instinct to care for people who are not like us. The overwhelming response after devastating Tsunamis, the bucket challenge, adoption, anti-war efforts, etc. Compassion for those who are not like us is just as “instinctive” as it is to care for one’s own. Personally, I still think and care about my friends that I’ve made over the years despite our differences – racial, cultural, political, intellectual or otherwise – although I am certainly not the best at keeping in touch; I’ll try to be better at this. But I want people to know I appreciate the kindness and friendship that people of all colors and creeds have shown me and my family. My mom has stories for days; shout-out to the Mormons, Catholics, and "white people" in Utah (despite the microaggressions and implicit racism)

The article says that homogeneity is much more instinctive than diversity. But the wide acceptance of Christianity (as well as Islam and Buddhism) and their missionaries beg to differ. If my understanding of Korean history is correct, western medicine was first introduced into Korea during the 1880s by missionaries. The efficacy of this medicine piqued interest in Christianity. That‘s right, Science led to Religion! In Korean scholarship, science was connected to cosmology. After a long period of isolationism and scholarly debate, Korea opened its borders and welcomed diversity – although, to be sure, Korea today has its own problems with immigrants as well. I think Koreans are generally quite happy to share our culture as long as you engage it with respect. We are happy when you like our food, our music, our customs and our dress. Moreover, if homogeneity was more instinctive than diversity there would be a lot more inbreeding. Genetic diversity was critical for the survival of our species. Egalitarianism does not dismiss our differences. Every individual is unique in genetic composition, upbringing, and socio-cultural influences. Egalitarianism is not about biology but a system of equal treatment and equitable opportunities to flourish. The United States of America does not have this kind of system.

So back to the article. According to the author, alt-right is critical of establishment conservatives because they are quick to import cheap labor, i.e. immigration, and capitalist exploitation; they would demolish a cathedral to build a shopping mall. More importantly, the alt-right is concerned with the preservation of their “tribe” and their “culture”. Now let’s pause again and think about this. In my opinion, this is the antithesis of the decolonization and post-colonial argument. It stands very much in the pre-, and indeed pro-, colonial tradition; an unapologetic inverse of the Black Radical Tradition.

They want to legitimize their group as analogous to the Mexicans, African-Americans, or Muslims. But let me break it down real simple-like. There is no country called "White"; there is no culture called "White"; and there is certainly no religion called "White". In this sense, the “white tribe” is not analogous to Mexicans or Muslims. 'African-American', 'Asian-American', 'Latin-American', 'Arab-American', 'European-American', or any other hyphenated American are umbrella terms socially constructed, superficially designated markers for categorization and classification; they are instruments of division; instruments of flattening cultural nuance; and socially engineered pathways for prejudice, discrimination and violence. The people included under these terms are far from homogenous and at best: "family resemblances". All this goes without even touching on socialization, embodiment, or epigenetics. The purported “white culture” is not singular. It comes from an array of countries from Europe and the creativity that emerged in the US.

The notion of culture is not a static reified thing but the product of people subject to social, political, and economic influences and various structures of power and care within historically specific discursive practices. It is fluid and constantly evolving. Cowboys, sandwiches, burgers, the rodeo, state fairs, music, and art are all contingent and emergent products of these dynamics. There is nothing wrong with any of these but please be aware that the history of oppression and colonialism is still a wound that has not healed despite how long it has been. “Get over it” does not work until the resonating oppressive structures and institutions constructed during the ugly periods of US history that continue to sustain poverty are eradicated. Nobody is telling poor white folks to “get over it”. We are not consistently taking shits in your churches, or actively making fun of your people, and we are certainly not the ones putting barriers in your path to flourish and raise your families.

I’m not going to go into this article any further but there is plenty for scholars, academic or otherwise, to go into. And I am certainly subject to correction. There are people much more intelligent and knowledgeable than I am about these things. I've learned a great deal from people who are classified as “white”. In fact, all my mentors throughout my higher education have been “white” – two Americans, a German, a Welshman, and an Englishman. I am indebted to them and appreciate the attention and care they have given me, despite my arrogance and persistent intrusion into their office hours. They have opened new avenues of thought, windows of history, and, without a doubt, have humbled me tremendously. I am truly thankful to them as well as all my teachers from elementary (Beacon Heights and Bennion ELP), junior high (Hillside), and high school (shoutout to Mr Gordon Moore - I'm still doing pottery - and the basketball team at Highland; still proud that you took State senior year even if it was without me... fuckers), and all my “white” friends and peers who have introduced me to so much (and of course my "black", Polynesian - shoutout to Tonga and Samoa - Mexican, Native, Arab and Persian friends and of course, my Koreans and fellow Asians from China, Taiwan, Japan, Mongolia, India, Tibet, Phillippines, Vietnam, and Laos and all those who come from a melting pot of cultures as well as those I never got around to asking about your background; I still remember your faces although I might have forgotten a few names). It is, in one sense, unfortunate that I had to go back and forth between Utah and Korea so often that it created breaks in our friendships and lost touch with so many as I've gone into this so called "adult life" - shit gets crazy busy.

I want you to know that I still remember you and that I do not hate “white people”. As a fellow US citizen, I am simply critical of the system and structures that you’ve inherited which just so happens to accommodate your skin color more than those who are not.

Just because the article doesn't say "white supremacy" doesn't mean that it doesn't advocate for it. Just because there's a person of color or a woman or an LGBTQ person or a Muslim on your team doesn't exempt the team from systematic discrimination.

People everywhere are going through hard times and, I agree, the current political economy and the establishment isn't helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment